You might remember my blog post over 3 ways to fulfill your dreams. Now we’re going to do the fourth and fifth way to fulfill your dreams. We all have dreams and want to take control of them, but sometimes we have to take these things into consideration - myself included.
4. Make a plan...a GODLY plan.
Look, I know I probably lose a lot of people by saying that, but I promised I would always keep it real on here. And by me trying to make ways for us to fulfill our dreams WITHOUT God is us lying to ourselves.
I believe in God wholeheartedly: The 5 Biggest Reasons Why I Believe in God
So yes, you need to make a godly plan. There's not a specific way you do this, but I do have some tips.
God works through prayer. He hears you, and He cares. Run to Him with your dreams, and I promise He will only enhance them.
Make time to listen to what God has to say. Ask Him to make it clear for you. Don't rush into something because it's what you want, listen to what God has to say. He respects your dreams, and He gives us good gifts. It's not like He tries to give us stuff we hate.
If God is calling you to do something, then do it. He's going to protect you, and in the end, you will benefit from it and be rewarded for obeying Him.
How do I know when it's God talking to me?
This is a great question, and it's one I've asked lots of times. Here's a few tips I've learned:
- Make sure it lines up with what He says. God is NOT calling you to be a stripper! Scripture doesn't line up with that.
- Check your motives. Are you doing something because YOU want it? I've been guilty of trying to start a conversation with a certain person just out of desperation for a new friend or someone to get me, but deep down, I know I should probably let this person go. If you want something for a certain reason that isn't pleasing to God or going to give Him glory, then that's the wrong motives. It's not about you. It's not BAD if you like what you do, and I wouldn't recommend going after something you hate, but just don't let the purpose be for yourself. Find something you love that will still give glory to God.
- Pray pray pray. This is essential. And while we're at it, let's ask God to take it in His hands, to protect us from something that in the big picture would hurt us, and let's ask Him to reveal to us if we are having the wrong motives. Let's pray for His will overall.
- The desire never fades. There's going to be times we don't like something we do - even if it's our dream job or hobby. That's not what I'm talking about. But if there's something that keeps calling at you and there's a way to include your faith, then I bet that desire is coming from God. That's how I feel about writing and this blog. Also, when you get closer to God, the desires that are worldly (see also: STRIPPING) will hopefully go away. If they don't, first, you have to be willing to let them go. If they keep coming up when you don't want them, pray. God will help you.
- It involves some things that will test your character. Maybe in order to fulfill your dream, you're going to have to take a big leap of faith. God is all about strengthening our faith, and so this could also fit in with something He wants you to do.
Now that you know how to go about including God in your plans, we can make a plan. I recommend having a journal specifically for your dreams. I'm actually huge on the power of journaling, and some posts I want to do in the future are over journaling prompts. I currently have four different journals I write in: my personal journal where I recap my life and thoughts, a faith journal of verses, prayers, and such, hopefully soon a journal of prayers, and then I will be starting my own dream journal.
Write down your dreams and if they align with God's will. Write down prayers to Him, and record what He is telling you. There's not really a right or wrong way to do this; the point is just to help keep you encouraged and make sure your dreams are in line with God's will.
5. Keep Him first.
Remember why you started, which is to honor God one way or another. If you lose sight of this, your dreams and plans are going to crash and burn. Because if we're not honoring God with our lives, we're wasting them. Pray as consistently and with as much passion as you did to begin with. You will run into trials, but God will get you through them if this is His will for you.
How are you guys doing fulfilling your dreams? Do you struggle with any of these?